Saturday, October 11, 2008

Today's conclusions about the Parisians...

Today I learned some things about Parisians as a whole.  Walking through the city for six hours with a friend will do that to you.  As I attempt to stretch out my legs and relax the cramped muscles, let me tell you a story. 

My story begins with lunch time.  When I saw a group of people outside of a KFC in Chatelet, surely the fervor of the crowd signaled that a celebrity or musician was inside.  Straining to see through the window, I didn’t see any cameras, but everyone was looking inside and shuffling back and forth. 

Little did I know that it was simply lunch time, and this group of Parisians needed their fried chicken fix.  I apologized to the entire French population on behalf of America.  In a few more years, all that fried chicken fervor will really start to show.  People cheered as the doors opened, and I walked away stricken.  The conclusion was that the French are worse than Americans when it comes to fried chicken. 

Then I attended the 100thanniversary of GIFAS, the French NASA (I think).  All along theChamps Elysees there were aircrafts and displays about French aeronautics. Then we came across a walk through exhibit for Airbus.  See the photos and try to explain for yourself who these new friends were and what they were doing there.  The conclusion was that the Parisians have one closet of decorations that are available for every occasion, from a state funeral to Christmas. 






And as if that wasn’t enough, the trip to the Montmartre Grape Harvest was anything but peaceful.  The huge crowd of people surrounding the Sacre Coeur competed for 6 euro glasses of wine and 1 euro oysters.  I don’t know how any of this was supposed to be enjoyable, even though I thoroughly enjoyed my crepe with Nutella and banana. 

But the most startling thing happened when we walked down the stairs from the top of Montmartre (a frightening dozen or so flights of stairs).  We ended up walking alongside a mother carrying her child and encouraging her sun, who was slightly handicapped and on two crutch supports.  All of this was happening as the lift was taking people up and down the mountain for a very small fee.  The conclusion was that French mothers are bad parents.

 

 

No comments: