Sunday, October 5, 2008

fairy lights & a west village roam


I had big plans for today. What did I accomplish? Very little.

I didn't leave Water Street until almost 3, because I am la-zy. I decided to meet Beth in Union Square, from where we would find the Greek street fair that was supposed to be taking place around 17th and Irving. We finally found it...and boy were we disappointed. We had dreamt of baked feta, Greek wine, lettuce-less Greek salads, hummus, delicious 2e gyros, even the kind-hearted Papi, the owner of one of our hostels - all of the amazingness we had left behind when we said goodbye to Greece at the end of spring break a few months ago. Instead, we found a couple of shabby tents, a random table with used things for sale (similar to the 'famous' flea markets in Athens...grimy), a LOT of lettuce, and desserts with m&ms on top. Not very Greek. We settled for a piece of baklava and some good conversation (including vows that we would one day soon return to the Greek Islands).

Josh called, and I invited him to come to the Met with me. This time, I told myself, I would go in to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. You see, I have been intending to go there since I returned to New York a month and a half ago. Two weeks ago, I even walked there from Water Street. Yes, all seven miles. Upon arriving, I decided I would rather sit outside and enjoy the beautiful day. Ridiculous. So today I would go in, I promised. Josh decided he wanted to get dinner instead of going, but I told myself I would go in once he left for his performance. Josh left, I walked to the majestic (and under-construction) steps of the museum I love so, and...


Well. It was around dusk, and the lampposts in Central Park were just glimmering like a little fairy land.
So naturally, I couldn't go in... Instead, I wandered around Central Park. I actually was able to cross the park over to the west side without any issues, which is really an accomplishment for me. I hadn't even been there since...well, since December. Such a long time ago.

Jessica and I were bored, so we decided to take the bus up to campus and just walk around the West Village...Because you'll always see interesting things in the West Village. Some favorites :




We went to a REALLY cute coffee shop on the corner of 7th Ave and Waverly and had a-mazing hot apple cider... It tasted like apples. Not like that cheap Starbucks stuff I used to drink, which I am now convinced is Mott's apple juice heated up.


1 comment:

Global Future said...

Wow, nice blog.
Beautiful pictures.

Bravo.

Please visit:

http://camera-world.blogspot.com

Good luck